A pizza made with beer bread. At first sight, a strange combination, but nothing could be further from the truth. We opted for a pizza extravagant, or a well-topped pizza with ham, bacon, vegetables and overloaded with cheese. Making a pizza on the barbecue is not that crazy at all. Many well-known brands sell pizza stones, specially made so that you can make a delicious pizza on the barbecue. Our pizza stone is from Monolith, but Weber, Napoleon or The Bastard also have these in their range.
Pizza dough is very easy to make, and you can also buy it ready-made. But if you want to deviate from the standard bottom, try our variant. Beer bread pizza crust. You can basically use any type of beer you want for beer bread. Whether blond, double or triple. The taste of the beer naturally influences the taste and appearance of your bread. Darker beer will also make your bread darker. We ourselves use a blond beer from Leffe in this recipe, but you can also use Italian beer to stay in the same atmosphere as the pizza. Some good options for Italian beer include Peroni, Moretti, or Frost.
– Beer of your choice
– A few slices of bacon
– A few slices of ham
– Vegetables of your choice (we used bell pepper, onion and mushrooms)
– Grated cheese mozzarella
– 2 tomatoes
– Italian herbs of your choiceor use the Italian Grinder
– 2 cloves of garlic
– A barbecue with pizza stone
– A large and a smaller bowl
– A tea towel
– A stick blender
– A large spatula
– A pizza cutter
– A knife
– A cutting board
– A rolling pin
– A pizza shovel
– A garlic press
1. First we will prepare the beer bread, it has to rise for an hour. In a large bowl, add the beer bread mix. Add the beer of your choice and knead to a light dough. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it rise for an hour in a warm place.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the barbecue. This one should be hot, very hot. We will bake the pizza briefly at a high temperature. Too long and the bottom burned, which is of course a shame. When the barbecue has reached a temperature of 300 °C, carefully slide the hot coals to the edges of the barbecue. You do this to ensure that there are no hot coals directly under the pizza stone to prevent the bottom of the bottom from burning too quickly.
3. While the beer bread is rising, cut the vegetables and season the meat. Make sure the toppings are thinly sliced so that they don’t take much time to cook under the barbecue. For the vegetables we used bell pepper, red onion and mushrooms. But you can vary this by adding artichoke, olives or zucchini, for example.
4. For the bacon, we opted for bacon that was thinly sliced at the butcher shop, as well as for the shoulder ham. You can also vary in type of the meat, chorizo or peperoni are also very tasty on the pizza. Season the meat with the BBQ Braai shaker on both sides to taste. Start with fewer herbs and add more to taste, because this shaker is very full of flavour.
5. The tomato sauce is very easy to make and has only 2 ingredients: tomatoes and Italian herbs. We used canned diced tomatoes, but you can also use fresh tomatoes for this. For a smooth texture, we recommend puréeing the tomatoes with an immersion blender, but it is not necessary. Add the Italian herbs and mix together.
6. After an hour, the beer bread dough is ready to be rolled out. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is thinner than you actually want it to be. On the barbecue, the dough will become thick due to the cooking. Before you start investing the pizza, it is recommended to place it on a pizza shovel so that you can easily slide it onto the pizza stone.
7. Top the pizza with your favourite toppings. Start with the tomato sauce, then add some slices of bacon and ham and on top of that on the chosen vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and mozzarella slices. Are you a fan of spicy food? Then we strongly recommend adding some Smokey & Sweet Hot Sauce.
8. Carefully place the pizza stone on the barbecue and slide the pizza onto it. Close the lid and let the pizza bake for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, you can carefully lift the bottom to see if it is not burning. If this is not the case, you can leave it a little longer until it is crispy and the cheese has melted well.
9. Remove the pizza extravagant from the barbecue when it is ready and cut into pieces. Enjoy!